Click on diagram to enlarge.
Roles Related to the Holy Spirit’s Relationship with Believers:
- Testifier of Jesus (John 15:26): The Holy Spirit testifies that Jesus died for mankind’s sins.
- Convicter of Sin (John 16:8 ESV): The Holy Spirit convicts individuals of their need for salvation, initiating the relationship with believers.
- Regenerator (Titus 3:5 ESV): The Holy Spirit brings about spiritual rebirth, making believers new creations. Washing of regeneration = forgiveness of sins Heb 9:22 and spiritual life Jn 3:5,6.
- Indweller (1 Corinthians 6:19-20): The Holy Spirit takes up residence within believers, ensuring an ongoing relationship.
- Sanctifier (2 Thessalonians 2:13): The Holy Spirit sets believers apart and begins the process of making them holy.
- Sealer (Ephesians 1:13-14): The Holy Spirit seals believers as a mark of God’s ownership and protection.
- Confirmer (Romans 8:16; Ro 9:1): The Holy Spirit provides ongoing assurance of believers’ standing as children of God and confirms truth with our consciences.
- Encourager (Acts 9:31): The Holy Spirit encourages believers.
- Brings Freedom (2 Corinthians 3:17): The Holy Spirit brings freedom from the law through grace Ro 6:14. In believers’ struggle against sin, He empowers them to live righteous lives Gal 5:16. He also enables believers to have a personal and intimate relationship with God. Through the Spirit, believers can approach God with confidence, worship Him in spirit and truth, and experience the joy of knowing God as their Father Eph 2:18.
- Helper (John 14:16 NASB): The Holy Spirit is a constant helper and comforter to believers, providing guidance, strength, and support.
- Intercessor (Romans 8:26): The Holy Spirit intercedes on behalf of believers, helping them in their prayers and communicating their needs to God.
- Unifier (Ephesians 4:3-6): The Holy Spirit promotes unity among believers, emphasizing the importance of peace, love, and the bond of the Spirit in the body of Christ.
Roles of the Holy Spirit In Spiritual Warfare:
- Dispenser of Spiritual Gifts (1 Corinthians 12:7-11): The Holy Spirit equips believers with spiritual gifts, which He determines for service within the body of Christ.
- Empowerer (Acts 1:8): The Holy Spirit empowers believers to be witnesses for Christ, empowering their ministry.
- Anointer (1 John 2:20, 27): The Holy Spirit anoints believers, enabling them to understand and apply God’s truth while guiding them in their divine commission.
- Commander (Acts 8:29; Acts 13:2): The Holy Spirit gives the Body of Christ commands to carry out, in order to accomplish the Father’s will.
- Teacher (John 14:26): The Holy Spirit serves as a teacher, reminding believers of Jesus’ teachings and helping them grow in their understanding of God’s Word.
- Illuminator (1 Corinthians 2:10-12): The Holy Spirit reveals deep spiritual truths and provides insight into God’s Word.
- Guide (John 16:13): The Holy Spirit guides believers into all truth and helps them navigate their Christian journey.
- Prophesier (2 Peter 1:20,21; Acts 21:11): The Holy Spirit informs His prophets of prophecies to reveal future events Amos 3:7.
- Inspirer (2 Corinthians 3:18): The Holy Spirit inspires believers to become more like Christ, bringing about spiritual growth and transformation.
- Renewer (Titus 3:5 ESV): The Holy Spirit renews our minds and attitudes. Eph 4:23 NLT; Eph 4:30-32.
- Fruit Producer (Galatians 5:22-23): The Holy Spirit produces the fruit of the Spirit in the lives of believers, manifesting Christlike qualities.